Did you know that the loss of even a single tooth may hinder the health and appearance of your smile? With dental implants, your smile can be restored to full function and beauty. In today’s blog, your Sheridan dentist, Dr. Donald Coon, offers a fun quiz on implant dentistry.
Dental Implant Quiz
1. True or False: Dental implants are inserted directly into the jaw.
2. True or False: Dental implants prevent bone loss.
3. True or False: Implants look like natural teeth.
4. True or False: Dental implants provide decades of restoration.
1. True. Once placed into the jaw, the bone tissue will bond with the implant in a process known as “osseintegration”. This secures your implant for years of dependable and esthetically pleasing restoration.
2. True. When you lose a tooth, the body responds by suspending the flow of nutrients to the surrounding jawbone. Deprived of crucial doses of calcium and phosphorus, the bone dissolves. Soon, patients experience an increased risk of tooth loss and may take on aged appearance. Loss of bone density often leads to jowls, sunken cheeks, and a ptotic, or witch’s, chin. Since an implant is recognized as a natural tooth, your body resumes the flow of nutrients, preventing bone loss and preserving your smile.
3. True. Your Sheridan WY cosmetic dentist will top the implants with a crown or set of dentures, depending on the extent of tooth loss. Made using lifelike dental materials, your new teeth will look completely natural and blend with your smile.
4. True. With proper care, dental implants can last for up to 25 years. In some cases, implants have been known to last even longer. Simply care for your dental implants as you would your natural teeth. Practice good dental habits, such as:
- Attending routine checkups and cleanings
- Brushing your teeth twice a day
- Flossing once a day
- Rinsing with an antibacterial mouthwash
These simple steps protect your teeth, and your new restorations.
Schedule an Appointment with Your Sheridan WY Cosmetic Dentist
Interested in receiving natural looking restoration with dental implants? To learn more about our innovative implant procedures, talk to your Sheridan WY cosmetic dentist, Dr. Coon, today. Contact Dr. Coon by calling Grinnell Street Dental at (307) 672-7567. Located in the 82801 area, we welcome patients from Sheridan, WY, and all surrounding communities.